
The Sheldrick Trust is a partial step needed to be taken in order to solve the elephant crisis. Siebert recognizes that the Trust rehabilitates elephants using methods such as the use of an allomother, but it is the participation of humans that Siebert truly thinks is the answer. The active participation of humans improves the trans-species psyche of not only elephants and humans, but of humans and all other animals. Siebert quotes Bradshaw as saying, “Now humans can participate actively in the healing of both themselves and non-human animals. The trust and the sanctuary are the beginnings of a mutually benefitting interspecies culture,” (538). This improvement of human-elephant relationship can not only teach humans how to treat elephants better, but how improve treatment of all animals.
I don't think that Seibert is saying that there is a trans-species psyche between all animals, but rather a unique emotional bond between elephants and humans due to their violent past.
ReplyDeleteFor this specific passage, I would agree with Eytan in that the author is trying to express a unique bond between elephants and humans. However, I think what NelsonZhou was trying to imply was that we can adopt this sort of thinking for all species, forming unique bonds with each different species based on our pasts, in order to help them too. I'm not sure if I interpreted it right but that's what I thought at least.
ReplyDelete